What to do while you wait for an ambulance
Stroke is a medical emergency. If you or someone else shows the signs of stroke, call 000 immediately.
While you are waiting for the ambulance to arrive:
- If the person is conscious, lay them down on their side with their head slightly raised and supported.
- Do not give them anything to eat or drink.
- Loosen any restrictive clothing that could cause breathing difficulties.
- If weakness is obvious in any limb, support it and avoid pulling on it when moving the person.
- If they are unconscious, check their breathing and pulse and put them on their side. If they do not have a pulse or are not breathing, start CPR straight away.
- If you are unsure how to perform CPR, the ambulance call taker will give instructions over the phone.